A spicy glaze over turkey bacon gives great flavor to this version of a classic sandwich. Avocado makes this healthy BLT a winner!
Heads up: This post contains affiliate links, which means that if you decide to purchase any items, I may make a commission at no cost to you. I only endorse products I know and love!
One of my favorite sandwiches is a BLT. It is so simple, yet so perfect. Crispy bacon, fresh veggies , toasty bread – what’s not to love? Though the classic is amazing, I couldn’t help but tweak and experiment to try something new. We are trying to eat less saturated fat in my household, so I thought trying turkey bacon would be a good fit!
Summer is a also great time for BLTs, whether they are made with turkey bacon or not. Tomatoes are at their best, and they can really shine in a sandwich like this. Because turkey bacon is not as flavorful as the real stuff, I knew I had to add flavor in another way. A sticky-sweet and spicy glaze with sriracha and brown sugar. A tasty, healthy BLT was born!
A few tips:
- I used a silicone pastry brush to glaze the turkey bacon. It is super easy to clean, and evenly spreads the glaze over each piece. If you don’t have one, a regular pastry brush or a small spoon or spatula will work as well.
- When toasting your bread, put two slices in each toaster space. This lets the bread get nice and crunchy on one side, but stay soft and chewy on the inside. The textures are perfect for this sandwich.
- The turkey bacon will continue to crisp up after it comes out of the oven. Be careful not to overcook, as it could cause the sugar in the glaze to burn and turn bitter. Enjoy!
If you make this sandwich, let me know what you think in the comments or on Instagram!
Spicy Turkey BLAT
What You'll Need
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 large tomato
- 1 avocado
- 4 butter lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
For the glazed turkey bacon:
- 8 slices turkey bacon
- 1 tablespoon sriracha
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
What to Do
Make the glazed turkey bacon:
- Preheat the oven to 400º and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil or a silicon baking mat.
- In a small bowl, combine the sriracha, brown sugar, soy sauce, and black pepper. Stir to combine.
- Arrange the turkey bacon slices on the prepared sheet tray in an even layer.
- Brush each slice evenly with the sriracha glaze.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until cooked through and crispy around the edges. (As it cools, it will continue to crisp.)
Prep the remaining ingredients:
- While the turkey bacon is cooking, slice the tomato and avocado into thin slices.
- Place two slices of the bread into the toaster together. This will help the bread toast on one side, but stay soft and chewy on the other.
Assemble the sandwiches:
- Spread a thin layer of mayonnaise on each slice of bread on the untoasted side.
- Layer the glazed turkey bacon, lettuce, tomato, and avocado, and top with another prepared slice of bread.
- Cut in half (this is key!) and enjoy.