Salmon roasted with fennel and potatoes is the perfect weeknight meal. A bright, citrus-y vinaigrette plus a simple green salad pulls the meal together.
Healthy cooking on a weeknight can be a challenge. Even recipes that are easy or quick to prepare can be a pain to clean up. Recipes that are easy to clean up can require a lot of chopping and prep work. This roasted salmon recipe checks all of the boxes — it is not only delicious and easy to make, it has minimal prep and cleanup is a snap.
The key to this roasted salmon recipe is to both prep-as-you-go and clean-as-you-go. While your potatoes start roasting, dice your fennel. While the potatoes and fennel continue to roast, prep your salmon. While you roast the salmon and vegetables, make your dressing. Use your spare minutes to wash your knife and cutting board. Line your sheet pan with foil so after dinner, you can just toss it.
The orange vinaigrette is a great compliment to the roasted salmon and vegetables. The key to making this dressing is letting the minced shallot sit in the vinegar and orange juice for a few minutes before whisking in the olive oil. This takes some of the “bite” out of the shallots.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it went in the comments or on Instagram!
Roasted Salmon with Fennel and Potatoes
What You'll Need
- 4 salmon fillets
- 1 fennel bulb with fronds
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes
- 1 orange
- 1 shallot
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup olive oil divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
What to Do
- Preheat the oven to 375°F and line a sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Toss the diced potatoes with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Spread on a sheet pan in a single layer, then roast in the oven for 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes roast, trim the rough bottom of the fennel bulb and trim off the fronds. (Reserve the fronds for later!). Dice the bulb, then toss in 1 tablespoon of olive oil. After the potatoes have roasted for 15 minutes, toss once, then add the fennel to the sheet pan. Roast for an addition 15 minutes.
- While the potatoes and fennel roast, peel and mince the shallot. In a small bowl, combine the minced shallot, white wine vinegar, and the juice of ½ the orange. Set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the potatoes and fennel from the oven and toss once. Then, create a space in the middle of the sheet pan and place the salmon fillets in the center. Season the salmon with salt and pepper.
- Roast the salmon for 12-15 minutes, or until the salmon is cooked through and flakes easily. (The exact time will depend on the thickness of your fish.)
- While the fish roasts, finely chop some of the fennel fronds (about 1 tablespoon). Then, whisk 2 tablespoons of olive oil into the shallot and orange juice mixture and stir in the fronds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Drizzle the dressing over the roasted potatoes, fennel, and salmon. Serve with a green salad.